Friday 27 December 2013

Poetry and stuff

A very dear friend of mine suggested I could use my blog to post my poetry.  I had never thought about it before but I have a lot of stuff I have written that I could put on here.so here we go.  Poem one is one I wrote when I was involved in a Pride event years ago.  The subject of the poem is my son David who is a professional drag queen currently working in Sparkle Show Bar in Playa Del Ingles on the island of Gran Canaria.


Strange? Not you

They sent for me at nursery.
When you were only three!
A Doctor! a Psychologist!
Theywanted you to see,

The problem that they had
Was you weren’t like the other boys.
You didn’t play with cars or guns,
Or any of those toys.

When you played in nursery school,
It was with the girly things!
Like dresses, dolls and make-up,
Bangle sand sparkly rings.

I couldn’t see their problem,
But they thought that I was wrong!
If they could see you now,
They would sing a different song.

When you became a teenager,
Your differences shone through.
Other people thought, that you were strange!
But you were just being you.

As an adult you were hassled,
By people with narrow minds.
They didn’t like you being different,
They were stupid and unkind.

Now you have your niche in life
With make-up, bangles and sparkly rings!
A female impressionist!
Drag Queen, of all things

These problems throughout your life,
Made a stronger man of you.
Being different made you what you are
And it shows in all you do.

On the days, when you don your frocks,
Your make-up. and your wig,
You show the world you are special,
And that you just don’t give a fig!

Then David becomes Daniella.
The most beautiful girl in town,
In her diamante necklaces,
And her long, pretty, evening gown.

People throng to see you,
They applaud all your routines.
If only those nursery teachers knew
You would become a beauty queen!

When people see others like you,
They often look away,
But they really need to accept,
That gay people are born that way!


Written by Freda Brodie for her son Daniella Mantrapp in 2001

2 comments: